Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Hacienda Holiday

Every Labor Day a wonderfully destructive group of my friends get together for a little event we call Hacienda Holiday. This weekend is filled with the three essentials: sacrificing meat on a grill, breaking mildly expensive things, and risking lives in water (because “the river will take your life if you don’t respect it. Ain’t no current in a lake, but there current in that river.”)

As you can imagine, fitting in a long run during such festive activities is difficult. So I mashed my 23M long run in early Saturday morning in East Lansing; and it was a perfect Fall for a long run. My goal pace was marathon pace plus 30sec, and of course I ran my first mile 30 seconds too fast! However I quickly settled down and stayed fairly close to my goal pace.

Then miles 19 and 20 came along, where I plopped down +8sec on and +14sec my goal pace. Surprisingly, however, I was feeling good as I grabbed my last water on the course and therefore decided to try and push my last 3M. I was able to hit the next three at 7:17, 7:08, and 7:16. I was feeling so good I decided to do one more, a very pleasing 7:08.

Overall it was a great run with an average of 7:21/M (-9sec of goal pace). Everything about the run was good, except for the missing water bottle at mile 15; which I will discuss later this week.

And finally, in case you were wondering, putting circus peanuts and marshmallows in a microwave will create an awful mess and cause said microwave to stop functioning for several hours. In case you didn’t already know that.

6 comments:

B. Kramer said...

Way to push those final miles! Cheers on a good weekend of mayhem and mileage.

B.o.B. said...

Great job on the run. You may steal my shark horn. But not my actual shark horn. Get a look a like.

Also I was wondering why you put marshmallows and circu peanuts in the microwave, but then I started thinking how delicious they must have been when melted. Hm. Off to 7 Eleven I go.

Running and living said...

Awesome run! You've inspired me to go 23 this weekend!

Sun Runner said...

Circus peanuts are the Devil's own snack food. There's no other explanation for why they taste so hellaciously terrible.

Nitmos said...

I hear the Rocky theme....you have the eye of the tiger.

Jen Feeny said...

*cough* SHOW OFF *cough*