Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Howell

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical... Less than one week. Hummm. Every run last week was a fail. My tempo run was nowhere near close to my goal. Worse, my final long run was a disaster—a 9M run at marathon pace. The week before I did 13.4 miles at MP -4 seconds per mile and felt amazing. This week I was never into my run even though I was ahead of pace at mile 4 and even at mile 5. For some reason I was never emotionally involved in the run. At mile seven I should have been able to pick up the pace and get even. Instead I had my slowest mile. I ended the run at MP +3 per mile, or about 30 seconds behind my goal. Phfffffttttt. And here is the point. If you take any long run for granted, the odds you will be able to rally out of a poor run are slim. Which is strange, because there are several levels of emotional involvement to a run. Most times my emotional state is focused and with a slight edge. Sometimes I just find myself going through the motions. I'd like to tell you that I've never stepped to a starting line without being fully engaged emotionally; but I have. I try not to, but sometimes it happens. Even at big races. Does this leave me worried? Honestly. Not really. In less than a week I'll do everything I can to be emotionally fired up. So, when the jets fly over and the gun sounds, I'll be ready to stomp on the throat that is the Boston Marathon.

9 comments:

B. Kramer said...

We're with you in Hopkinton ...

Jen Feeny said...

Dear Taper: Please deposit my boyfriend on the otherside of the Finish line back to his (somewhat) normal self.

Love, Red :)

Looking forward to NOT kissing you before you hit the Finish because you'll be going too fast to do so... But definitely after! So proud of you my love!!!

Nitmos said...

You're just ready to GET IT ON so every run seems mundane compared to what's ahead. Rock it!

Nitmos said...

P.S. Goals?

Tease.

Neophyte TriGuy said...

I'm sure the travel to Boston, the massive crowd of runners, and all the excitement that is the Boston Marathon will provide that emotional spark that you seemed to have misplaced during this final taper week. No worries! You will kill it and we all eagerly await the triumphant recap that will follow!

Ironman By Thirty said...

What would the taper be without piss poor runs and self doubt? Sounds like everything is going as planned.

Now, just get out there and rock it in Boston!

Running and living said...

You are tired, physically and mentally. You'll be fine come race day. I am not worried:)

Harold said...

Good luck dude! When Red texts me your time, I expect to be green with envy :D

Jessie said...

Good Luck!