Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A Little Blogger Love

The local Lansing newspaper runs several blogs on its webpage. One of those blogs is called Kick Asphalt, written by a marathoner/triathlete. Unfortunately, some of the comments the blog receives are rude and insulting. Here are a few examples. “You really should start thinking about getting a life....,” left after a post about the difference between being a jogger and a runner.

Others include “Well it must be nice Ms. Runner moneybags to be able to spend oodles of money on running events. Oh how proud you must be, especially during a time when one out of every nine people in the state are without employment. Right now is not the time for you newspaper people to be bragging about having -- and spending-- lots of money. Maybe you should consider writing one of these blogs about how the folks without jobs run their marathons and triathlons. I suspect they go to the park and "pretend" they are competing in an event. Way to be sympathetic.” This comment was in response to a post discussing which races to run in for the upcoming year.

Or this one, “This blog just never ceases to amaze me. It's not OK for posters to pick on the blond bimbo who moderates this blog, but it is OK for the bimbo and her boss to pick on an overly obese man. I'd be so amused if his mother showed up on this blog.” This comment came from a post discussing “The Biggest Loser” marathon controversy.

And finally this one, “Ohhhh Spring is upon us! I can't wait to get home from work and go out and run 75 miles tonight. Afterward, I'll go to the pool and swim 1,000 laps. Oh, spring! You make me feel like a school girl!

Give me a break people! You are all so self absorbed. Inclement weather doesn't occur just to throw off your running schedules. It sounds to me like at least a few posters on this site have taken the running thing a bit too far.”

These are but a few of the rude and hurtful things people post. As a fellow blogger, I wonder if such comments would discourage me, and I’m grateful for the blogging community I’ve found here, compassionate, supportive, witty, funny, and encouraging.

4 comments:

Irish Cream said...

The thing I find sad is that these commenters (who clearly have no interest in running themselves) have nothing better to do than to leave rude comments on a running blog. I'm sorry, but that is just the epitome of pathetic . . . perhaps the commenter who said that the blogger should "get a life" should take a little of his/her own advice!

Running and living said...

I think the difference is that runner only read this blog, as opposed to the general public who accesses the newspaper, and hence that blog. People do not understand runners. Add some bitterness, insecurity and thus need to overcompensate to that, and you can easily explain those comments. I agree with Irish, those commenters have way too much time on their hands, and very little purpose! It's actually funny, in a sad kind of way. Ana-Maria

Nitmos said...

Wow, I need to read those blogs I guess. And post some responses myself. I don't mind being public enemy #1.

The weather really does inconvenience my running sometimes though.

Ms. V. said...

Ah. People can be so mean.

Nice of you to give her a shout-out!